Despite the opening up of the licence attribution to the private sector in 2006 and 2008, alongside the 2004 Audiovisual communication law ending the government monopoly over it, the Moroccan TV sector remains in majority State-owned, with editorial policies tailored to match. In fact, out of the ten TV channels licensed in Morocco, eight belong to the State and one has the State as its majority shareholder. Al Aoula and 2M are some of the most accessible TV channels as they do only require an aerial antenna to be received.
To this day, State-owned TV channels remain one of the most popular sources of news and information in the country. However, they use formal Arabic and French languages, which are not the most popular in the country.
Satellite TV: a new Eldorado for Moroccan content?
A number of disappointed media owners that were denied a licence in 2008, have launched or are launching in the upcoming months satellite TV channels. As such, Télé Maroc, owned by Rachid Niny, has been broadcasting Morocco-specific content from Spain since June 2017. The Jordan-based music Chada TV, owned by Rachid Hayeg, are scheduled to start their broadcast by the end of the year 2017. Legally, these channels are not subject to the Moroccan law nor to the HACA oversight.
- Interview with Bouziane Zaïd, October 9th, 2017.
- La Haute Autorité de la Communication Audiovisuelle (2009). Résultats des appels à la concurrence pour l’octroi de la deuxième vague de licences. Accessed on October 16th, 2017.
- Kaoutar Laili (2017). Télé Maroc: Rachid Niny promet une chaîne "sans tabous" (ENTRETIEN) in HuffPost Maroc. Accessed on October 16th, 2017.
- Camille Bigo (2017). Chada TV: Une nouvelle chaîne télévisée au Maroc dès la rentrée, in HuffPost Maroc. Accessed on October 16th, 2017.
- Rania Laabid (2017). Télé Maroc: ca commence ce soir ! in Le 360.ma. Accessed on October 16th, 2017.
- Youssef Courage et Emmanuel Todd (2007). Révolution culturelle au Maroc : le sens d'une transition démographique in Fondation Res-Publica. Accessed on October 16th, 2017.